Friday, December 31, 2010

Nothing!

Exactly, one year ago … I remember! At exactly this time I was sipping on my drink, laughing with some people, appreciating friendships that have expired in a year we all promised to gratify and standby each other. I remember the places, I remember all the faces … everything is set to expire, food, drinks, friends, relationships, feelings perhaps, except … memories.

This year, and not just because I have an exam to study for or because most of my friends are spending new year’s with their “significant others” I decided to remember … to remember Gaza. Am not going to remember the war and the killing and blood and all of the hideous images we saw, and still see every now and then, but the fact that wherever we are … we are blessed with so many things that we forget to appreciate. Every year for many years, the 31st of December would be my day, getting all dressed, gather with all my friends, raise our glasses to a brighter better future that we would see –and in many cases did not- and today I couldn’t resort to anything but my msn account. I signed in and I found an old friend who lives in Gaza logged on and living his new year’s eve with his virtual friends online, living the world through their words … and it ran me down like a train runs down a penny.

I can make the call, to jump out of my chair and run through the streets and enjoy my night. I can call up some unexpired friends and meet them in a different city, laugh the night away, and welcome 2011 with hopes of better economies, less untruthful politicians, lower gas prices, more rain and peace in the middle east. NO, not exactly our wishes … we the spoilt kids of this world do not reallllyyy wish for all of that, but perhaps more money, more comedy, and less drama. Now there is nothing wrong with that, and I wish that everyone’s wishes come true sooner than later but it is always nice to remember those who wish not for money, comedy or drama but to stay alive, and not lose their fighting spirit. I love people who have nothing; I highly admire them … why? Because they have nothing to fake themselves for, and really don’t want anything but good health, more smiles, less tears, and a bigger heart so they can put up with our greed.

May this year bring us challenges to strengthen our souls, tears to wash our hearts, and endless lessons to learn … may we smile, even when we have nothing! May we have nothing but US! :)

No comments: